Hermanni & Lorenzo Law Group Logo




(305) 640-8222

The K-1 Visa Process

k1 visaImagine being a citizen living in the United States but the person you love and are engaged to is a foreign national. The one thing you would love to do is to be able to bring him or her into this country to live and build your life together. If you are a U.S. citizen and have a fiancé that lives outside of the United States, you can file a K-1 to bring them to the U.S. and marry.

Requirements and Qualifications

There are four basic requirements that are needed to be able to apply for the K-1 Visa:

  • The petitioner is a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident is not eligible to apply
  • The foreign fiancé lives outside of the United States
  • Both parties are of legal age of marriage and that your fiancé shows a genuine interest of getting married
  • Must get married within 90 days of your fiancé arriving in the United States

Some more in depth requirements that are needed and catch couples by surprise:

  • You and your fiancé must have met within at least the two years prior to applying. Documentation is
  • definitely necessary for filing purposes, for example any vacation photos or major family events.
  • A minimum income requirement (speak with an immigration lawyer for more details)

    Pin It on Pinterest

    Share This